Straightening out corporate documentation

Developed with React Native


The Publicate House team approached us to redesign and rebuild their app, which helps companies manage and distribute company documentation across their organisation and individual teams.

We would also be redesigning and building the app's document viewer which facilitated the use of the companies external interactive presentations.


The new app needed to be responsive to mobile and tablet devices in both orientations, and could be branded and themed by each of Publicates corporate clients on the client side. The long term plan was also to release on both iOS and Android stores so it was a easy to choose React Native as our framework for the project.


We used React Native to develop both iOS and Android apps effectively at the same time.

We started the project with a review of the existing app and discussed the key user journeys. We then worked on exposing the most commonly uses features in the new design. We also addressed the lack of user feedback in the existing app and began looking at interaction design to ensure the user was aware of what each tap of the app was doing.

One we had the design signed off, we planned bespoke solutions for our trickiest requirements: complete responsiveness, document caching and offline use, theming per user and access rights ... and many more.

Development began by looking at the issue of maintaining visual integrity when using different devices in different orientations and built out responsive views using device detection and dynamic grid calculations, this was made slightly more complicated as there was a requirement for some views to overflow into scroll and some to wrap.

Technologies used


The app is hosted in it's own AWS account. The DNS is managed in TSO Host. Production front end is hosted on S3 servers while production back end is hosted on AWS using the following stack:

  • ECS
  • RDS
  • CloudFormation


This project was full of challenges. Being able to execute to such a high standard and solve those problems was incredibly satisfying. The user personalisation was something new to us so establishing some key markers that we've taken forward into future projects was incredibly rewarding.